Sunday, August 26, 2012

On living with a host family, visiting ODOV, chickens and lizzards (my first impressions), and the "honeymoon phase"


Dear friends and family,

 I am sure you have all been anxiously awaiting my first post from Cambodia. Sorry it is so long in coming. I suppose I have only been here for a week days, but it feels like so much longer already.

Warren and I arrived in Cambodia safe and sound Sunday around noon. We had lunch with the MCC Cambodia program supervisors, and then jumped in a car and headed to Prey Veng city. MCC has another office here, and this is where we will spend 2 weeks learning the language, visiting some of MCC’s partner organizations, and learning about the history and culture of Cambodia. We started language lessons after being in the country for less than 24 hours, but despite the jet lag, I have been able to absorb most of what we learn in class. I have a host family here in Prey Veng for 2 weeks; they do not have much English, so the little Khmer I have picked up is useful! They are very good at helping me practice, and teaching me the names of objects, plants, and animals around the house. The house is raised up, and underneath is where people spend most of their time cooking, eating, and talking. It is also where the chickens, ducks, cats, and dogs hang out. I eat supper with my host family every night, but I go out for breakfast and lunch with the other MCC’ers. It is quick and inexpensive to stop at a little restaurant or in the market for meals. So far, I love what I have tried of Khmer food. It seems like I try a new fruit every day!

Earlier this week, we drove out to visit one of MCC’s partners, the Organization to Develop Our Villages (ODOV), where I will begin working next month. They have so many awesome programs there, including a Village bank that provides micro-financing, vocational training in high schools, support and capacity building for local grassroots organizations; research on climate change; education about food and nutrition, collaboration with a research group from UBC on integrated farming, and a demonstration farm to teach about sustainable agriculture. I am super pumped to start working there and get involved in all of the great work they do! I also had a chance to meet my future host family. They live in a lovely house close to ODOV, so I will be able to bike to work every morning. The only negative side of our trip was the road there… the dirt road was fine for motos and bikes, but not so fine for our 10 passenger van! We could scarcely go 2m without hitting a pothole.
Me at the ODOV!!
 

And for those of you wondering… YES, it is very hot here. It is a big adjustment for sure, but there are many ways to cope: tea on ice with every meal, houses open to the outside, lots of fans, and multiple cold water showers a day!  Today we were sent to the market to buy snacks for the afternoon, on our own. I got some dragonfruit- it is my new favourite. My host family laughs every time I tell them “I don’t have this in Canada!”

For your interest, I compiled a list earlier in the week of new experiences for me since coming to Cambodia:

-ate Khmer BBQ (cook meat and veggies on a grate over coals, or in hot oil)
-rode a bike while wearing a skirt… in 30+ degrees all afternoon
-rode on the back of a moto
-ate rice with breakfast… in fact, I eat rice with every meal
-slept under a mosquito net… on a wood bed covered with a reed mat
-took a bucket bath and used a squat toilet
-had a chicken jump at me while eating dinner outside
-turn the lights off around 9 at night, and rise before 6.
-tried a new fruit almost every day
-drank coconut milk from a coconut with a straw
-visited a wat while learning about Buddhism
-went to the Prey Veng Christian Centre (church) today and worshiped the Lord with Cambodians… I had to make up my own words for the songs in Khmer, but it was a great experience!
-and the list goes on!
Typical outdoor Khmer restaurant near the market
 

During orientation before coming to Cambodia, we discussed the stages of cultural adjustment. I know I am now in the “honeymoon” phase, but I can’t help it. Everything IS so new and exciting. I am absolutely loving my time here. Even getting caught in the rain, or having lizards as company while I took my first bucket bath, or having little kids laugh when I try to say hello… these are all still fun and exciting. It is not that I think everything is perfect here; I know there is still healing from the past that is ongoing, and corruption and poverty. But my first impression is of a welcoming and friendly people, rebuilding and moving forward to a more hopeful future.

Please pray for the other students and I that we will absorb the language quickly, taking full advantage of our host families; and that during this time of excitement and newness, our focus is on God and we draw our strength from him.

Yours,

Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. Have a great "honeymoon" - you might as well enjoy it. I looked up Dragon fruit - I've seen it at SuperStore but its one of those exotic fruits I never buy (buy local, you know eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list of new experiences. You may want to keep it for a while - after you finish the honeymoon stage it will help you renew the excitement of that first week and make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, now that I have tried all of this amazing fruit, I will have to go looking for it at home, but I know the taste won't be the same, and it definitely won't be local!

    I like your idea Janet about saving the list to look back on. I'm sure many of those things will become such everyday experiences that I will stop noticing them!

    ReplyDelete