Wednesday, August 15, 2012

On the importance of many stories, dutch blitz, and the dangers of playing soccer with bare feet


As a follow up to my previous post, I am pleased to report that I can now say many other useful things in Khmer, such as:

Are you hungry?
I want to eat Khmer noodles.
I have a nose.
I like bananas.

 If most of the new phrases I learn seem food oriented, it is not because I am obsessed with food or anything. It is just that we need something to make conversation at breakfast and dinner, and it is a great time to learn and practice new things.

                                
               Me in front of Asia house at the MCC welcome centre Akron PA during orientation.

 On another note, I am happy to say that Dutch Blitz has become overwhelmingly popular here over the past week. It started with us all playing a giant game of Dutch Blitz on the first day. And when I say giant, I mean that the cards were half a bristol board each, and the "table" was the lawn. Those more experienced (such as myself) have instructed and mentored others in the art of competing and winning. For those of you still wondering "What is Dutch Blitz?", it is a very highly competitive card game commonly played in Mennonite circles.


With respect to playing soccer with bare feet: I received my first injury of the year yesterday, albeit a minor one. The Cambodians and those of us going to Cambodia were having an intense three-on--three match after supper on the lawn. But in the midst of the excitement, I managed to bend back part of my big toenail L As they could find no one to take my place, we had to abandon the match. Instead, we picked up a couple of decks of dutch blitz and invited others to join in what evolved into the largest game I have ever played: 7 teams of 2 people playing at once! It was crazy and loads of fun :)

 On a more serious note, we had a great discussion today after watching a TED Talk together called "The danger of a single story", in which a Nigerian woman Chimamanda Adichie talks about how if we just see one side of the story, we are unable to understand the full depth and beauty of another culture. We discussed how it is important to listen, learn, and experience different stories from other countries and cultures in order to dispel prejudices and stereotypes. All the students going to other countries, and those that have come to stay in North America for a year, will encounter people with a single perspective. But through our time abroad, we can hopefully continue the process of breaking down stereotypes, connecting people, and sharing with our friends and family when we get home. And maybe we will help make the global community just a bit stronger. The first reaction many people had when I told them I was going to Cambodia was "Is it safe?" This is the only view of Cambodia that many people, including me, know at first. Join me on this adventure as I discover in greater depth the beauty, hope, and the works of God that are present in Cambodia's story. Pray that God will open my eyes and my heart and watch over me as I leave my home to make God’s work in Cambodia a part of my own story.

 Sincerely yours,

 Rebecca

PS. Dad, you will be happy to note that I found the game Pass the Pigs in the cupboard here and immediately taught it to my friends. But unfortunately it has not gained the same popularity with the students at large as has dutch blitz.

2 comments:

  1. oooo the Dutch Blitz game sounds as big as when we did it before my sister Renie's wedding around a ping pong table, I forget how many people we were, Love the idea of playing on the lawn, my family has come up with all kinds of variations, including mitts blitz, usually different things you have to do when an 1 comes out, like moving to work on the next pile to the right and such. Hope you have fun teaching the Cambodians to play blitz as you learn the cool games and culture out there, Take care
    Love & prayers, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass the pigs doesn't have the adrenalin rush that Dutch Blitz.

    ReplyDelete