Saturday, October 20, 2012

On the effectiveness of oreos as comfort food, building mountains, and the bright side of power outages

Hello fans!
                What an adventure I had last weekend trying to get back to Mesang Village from Phnom Penh city! I went to the city for  MCC’s monthly team meeting. It was a long weekend, so everyone was trying to get out of the city and back to their homes in the provinces. The mini-bus driver to Mesang apparently decided to take a holiday as well, so there was no way for me to get directly back to Mesang. I had to wait an extra day in the city, with nothing to do because everyone I knew was already out visiting other provinces. I was so bored that I started to watch Bride and Prejudice by myself in the office, eating a package of oreo cookies I found at one of the more western supermarkets. But I did make it back eventually, in time to join my family when they went to the wat Monday morning.
The holiday (Pchum ben) started two weeks previously, this Monday being the final day. As far as I understand it (and this is a very basic explanation I am sure), people give food and money on this holiday to pay respect to the spirits of their deceased ancestors, and to keep away bad spirits. Often families will visit several wats where the spirits of their ancestors might be. The wat (like a Buddhist temple or pagoda) was very crowded with families. There was a big roofed but open-walled area where everyone was seated on mats on the floor. My host mother (ma) went to pray and light incense at the front before coming to sit down. Then we went to give rice and other food to the monks. Most families had brought a set of stacking bowls, all filled with cooked rice. We each took one bowl and went to the back of the meeting area, and put a spoonful of rice into each of 7 large bowls. Beside each bowl was a plate where we put some money (equivalent to a few cents). I then walked around outside with ma for a bit around the area where they are building a new temple.  There, people were building “mountains” upon which they placed sticks of incense. Each person added a handful of sand and a sprinkle of water and put a stick of incense into it, so the mountains grew bigger as the day wore on. There was a net bag beside each for giving money. At each of the “mountains”, ma prayed for good luck. When the prayers were finished inside, many families started eating lunch. They ate rest of the rice they had not given to the monks and other food they had brought. But some families that lived close by (such as my family), went home to eat.
It was a fascinating experience going there with my host family, and added to the uniqueness of my homestay. I think it left me with more questions about folk-Buddhism than it did answers. It was difficult for me to ask about the meaning of certain traditions and practices due to language. As a Christian living with a Buddhist family, I have also had to ask myself questions about what is right for me to do, and what is not. But thankfully the Bible is very clear on this. It is OK to eat food that has been offered to spirits; do not bow down to or worship other gods; and so on. Trying to find the line between cultural curiosity and respect, and honouring God has helped solidify what is essential, or “closed-fisted”, about Christianity, and what is not. Living in a country where the overwhelming percentage of the population is Buddhist and there are only a few Christians has helped me better understand the words of apostles on this topic. I found out that there is a church about 15 minutes away (which seems far here), but I am not sure if I am brave enough to go there by myself for the first time, not knowing the language very well. I did hear about another church mostly composed of students; I’d love to find this group as they would be more my age, and are more likely to know a bit of English.
Going back now to the topic of food… you all know I eat a lot of rice, but a couple of people have expressed interest in learning about what else it is that I eat with those heaps of rice. Since I am living in the country, we eat a lot of fish. For breakfast, it is often salted and fried, or dried salted and fried fish, or duck eggs fried with a leafy-green vegetable. The latter is by far my favourite. Lunch and supper are very similar. There is always a soup: fish and greens, beef and potato and carrot, chicken hearts and greens, lily stems and fish… you get the idea. Sometimes there is a fried vegetable, such as green bean, or morning glory, or carrot, other leafy-green vegetables that I don’t know the English name of (I really like the green vegetables), often with a bit of “meat” thrown in for flavour. And often there is another meat dish, such as pork and fried ginger (one of my favourites), or curried frog (surprisingly delicious), or more fish! Most of the food is pretty good; I am certainly not going hungry. However, yesterday we had a soup that was not my favourite. I call it the soup of chewy-rubbery things. It had mushrooms, dried squid, cabbage, and pork skin. I am getting pretty good at selectively scooping vegetables from soup onto my plate, as I’m not a huge meat eater to begin with. I almost got away with yesterday until my host mom dropped a large piece of pork skin into my plate. “Delicious!” she says. On the weekends I accompany my host mother to the market as she buys food for the day. We don’t have a fridge, so most of our food is bought fresh that morning. When there are leftovers, they are re-heated and eaten at the next meal. And anything we don’t eat, the dogs, the cat, and the chickens do. I found out why sometimes we don’t have a lot of vegetables to eat… because there simply aren’t any to be had. This past holiday weekend, the market had a fraction of the people out selling things, and there were very few vegetables or even fish to be had. A lot of vegetables are imported to Cambodia and I guess the bigger cities get first dibs.
But enough about food. Work is going well. I am meeting with some staff next week to come up with a specific plan for research and demonstration on the farm. I am really excited to start implementing this project! They seem to be happy to let me come up with ideas as to what we should grow and what we should research. I really appreciate the independence and responsibility… if only I knew more about what grows when in Cambodia! Hopefully in our meeting next week they will be able to tell me what makes sense and what is not practical. Friday was a lot of fun at work. The power was out all day, so we all spent the day outside tearing down long bean and bitter gourd vines that were finished growing, and replanting the beds with green onions. It was a lot of fun to be out with everyone else, listen to the gossip and laughter (though I couldn’t understand it), and get my hands dirty! I took a bike ride after work in the hour before sunset, and was once again struck by the beauty of Cambodia.
Yours,
Rebecca
Beautiful sunset behind the farm

Admiring a job well done

No comments:

Post a Comment